Friday, November 24, 2006

The Day After Thanksgiving


So over the past few days 11 people have been staying in a house with 3 bedrooms. Thanks goodness for the office and the knitting room. But people staying everywhere equals a lack of quiet knitting time and 11 people wanting handknitted items. So far the only person to win out is my 7 year old (almost 8) cousin Tessa. This is her in what I have decided to call the Shirley Temple hat (cause its got ringlets). Its a simple pattern and quite cute. Get a skein of Rowan babysoft. If your child has a small head cast on 72 stitches (for a larger one try 81). Work in St st for 6 inches. Start to decrease (SSK k7 continue across the round, next round k across, 3rd round SSK k6 and continue as set until SSK across the whole row). Finish the hat with curly fringe from Knitting on the Edge by Nicky Epstein. I did three of varying length. Mainly because I was too tired after completing the first one, and they got increasingly shorter (I was also playing Uker at the time and they did not have the fullest of my attention).
I've also become an ambassador of knitting. Tessa started a scarf for her rabbit (its a toy) out of Cascade 220. I've even also taught Peresie to knit and purl (she started a bookmark, no patience with that one). Emily, my brothers fiance who is becoming an occupational therapist, has told me to exercise my hands after knitting to prevent arthritis. This is something I am definitely going to do because my throwing wrist was killing me after the ringlets.
Next on the knitting list: Finish Allies's afghan and socks for Peresie.

No comments: