Sunday, April 29, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day


I woke up this morning and decided that today was the day that I mastered the Twisted German Cast-on. And after a multitude of videos (I like the one from Utube best), I learned how to do it. From what I understand, the advantage of this cast-on is that it is stretchier than the long-tail. I cast on the baby hat with it and I have to say that I like it. It's not going to take over for all my cast-on needs, but for those cases (like socks, baby hats, or mittens) that you need a stretchy cast-on, this is the one I might go with.
The hat was out of the Knitpicks Shine Sport (just like the pants). It's just a simple CO 64 stitches on a size 6 circ. (12inches long). Knit in 1x1 rib until you get tired of it. Knit until the whole thing measures 4.5 inches. For the first decrease round: SSK, k7 across. K 1 round. SSK, K6 across. K 1 round. Continue this until you SSK across the whole round. Weave tails back through the leftover stitches. Weave in ends and you have a cute matching baby hat.
This might become my standard baby shower present. It takes less time than a blanket. You could add a matching baby kimono (Think Mason Dixon) if you really like the person. It's somewhat unique. And the price is right. I made the whole set, with a good bit of yarn left over, for around $7.50. That's right in my teacher budget. Plus, the yarn comes in 20 different colors. That's a rainbow of babies.
I'm off to get to work on my second pair of baby pants, or maybe finish up a pair of socks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You hoo!!!!

Sock Pal signing in!

Looks like I have my work cut out......

;-)